Rovio, the makers of the smash app Angry Birds is becoming an animated series! This little $5 buck app has gone from the Apple app store to the Android market to gaming consoles (Sony PS3, Xbox, Nintendo) and now television?!?! I own all the versions of the game on my ipad, from the original to the Halloween and Christmas versions, and even though they are basically the same game it is a wonderful way to waste my time when I’m waiting at the airport or the DMV, but how will the television animated series waste my time?!? I don’t think the battle between birds and pigs will take off as well as it has when you get to interact and play along. I guess it doesn’t matter because Rovio is laughing all the way to the bank and will take every opportunity to port their game to any platform. Hell, if it was me, I would.
So it’s time for my predictions for 2011 when it comes to “digital advertising”.
1. Brands will drop more ad budgets into creating “social content” to gain the popular Facebook “Like” badges. As these badges become more important to Brands than ever before, as it’s the easiest way for consumer to communicate their appreciation directly to the brands.
2. Influencers will become the new online celebrities. With streams of consciousness for everyone to access through platforms like Twitter and Facebook, influencers that have adopted to this digital form of expression will garner more power over their minons than ever before. Brands will be looking at any way to get their products and name into the hands of these new online celebrities.
3. Location based apps will help bring advertisers back to the local level. With applications like Foursquare, Yelp and even Facebook’s new “Places”, local advertising will get a boost in budgets (hopefully).
4. Silicon Valley will be a hotspot for advertising jobs. With Facebook and Twitter finally making profits, you’ll start to see more dollars for these brands to expand their advertising reach.
5. A spot for small personal networks. With social networks continuing to grow at exponential numbers still, the sudden need to limit what everyone can find out about you is becoming a problem. So communities like “Path” where a limit of 50 friends that’s constantly switching out can give you that privacy you’ve been wanting and needing.
Although these are just predictions, we can revisit this post same time next year and see if I’m right! Now, if I can only predict if I’m gonna keep my new year’s resolutions!
Most of the geeks and nerds I’ve spoken to have been either really excited about the release of Tron Legacy or can’t even relate since the original was released in 1982 and most of these kids weren’t even born yet. Sad to say, I was around but I was one of those closet nerds that loved the original Tron. So going into this weekend with the expectations that I was really not gonna be impressed with the film and that originals are always better, I was happy to be somewhat right. It wasn’t that great story-wise, but really? I’m complaining about a story that is based off of some other digital dimensional world, ok nerd. Anyway what I did really like about the movie was how, like the original film, pushed the realm of technological entertainment. The 3d was fantastic, fast and played well with the architectural landscape of Tron’s ‘Grid’. But what was the most impressive was the facial motion capture. You remember Brad Pitts character in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”, well ILM did some amazing work with Jeff Bridges to bring his 30 year old character from the original to interact with today’s Jeff Bridges. Although there’s a bit of rubber-ness to the CGI version, I’m pretty sure we are looking at a crazy time in film making similar to when we moved from prosthetic makeup to CGI makeup. Think about the aquatic characters of Pirate’s of the Caribbean. You can’t do that with prosthetic or it’ll look like the Muppets!
How soon will it be when actors can play themselves in at any age? And obviously the next question would be, when would we not even need actors all together and just create them in the digital world. Did we just open the digital pandora’s box in film making?
If you’ve been under a rock lately you probably haven’t seen that every commercial on prime time television has been to promote Microsoft’s newest faux hippster social phone the “KIN” has been killed. The European Fall release has been squashed and the entire KIN team has been absorbed into the Windows 7 Mobile team. The big reason for the sudden change of plans is due to product sales. Apparently after 6 months, only 500 KINs were sold. Yeah, I’d kill that product too!
The 80s were 3 decades ago…30 years ago!!! That’s f’n crazy!! I remember my crazy life when the stupidest stuff mattered…those were the good times 🙂 Well here were things also invented in the 80s.
Check out this headline, it’s probably one of the best and descriptive headlines I’ve seen in a while. Although what the hell is going on with people?!? AND…does this sort of story really need to get a whole page?
While standing in that crazy ass long line at the Apple store to pick up the latest iPhone 4, did you ever realize the actual cost of the phone? Well, iFixit and iSuppli (2 companies that are in the business of taking apart iPhones and selling parts for the DIY folks) has released the approx cost of the components and the sum of the parts comes right around $188 bucks! They even sell just about every part that you could theoretically build a Frankenstein iPhone 4 if you really wanted to go down that road. I wouldn’t advice building your own iPhone however, that’s just a bit crazy talk!
So I was a bit bummed when I heard that Megan Fox was no longer going to be in Transformers 3, but then I heard that Rosie Whiteley was gonna take her place and everything is now better. If you don’t know who Ms. Whiteley is, well she is best known for her work as a Victoria Secret’s model and honestly, that’s about enough for me to care about. Cause if you really think about it, Transformers 3 is gonna be about giant robots that transform into cars or planes or whatever they want to and rain down mad super robot fights all while a hot ass girl runs around during the non-action. That’s cool with me…and can you believe those lips? AMAZING!!!
Here’s more of the uncomfortable truth that we hear from our friends and sometimes it’s not always what others think.
Here’s a nice pie chart of what parent’s think when you don’t answer your cell phone…so if you’re a parent ease up, and if you’re a kid that has annoying parents, here’s the reason why they keep calling your ass.